Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Some Interesting and Funny Health-Facts for You!
1. When you are looking at someone you love, your pupils dilate, and they do the same when you are looking at someone you hate.
2. The human head is one-quarter of our total length at birth but only one-eighth of our total length by the time we reach adulthood.
3. Your body gives off enough heat in 30 minutes to bring half a gallon of water to a boil.
4. Blondes have more hair. The average human head has 100,000 hair follicles, each of which is capable of producing 20 individual hairs during a person’s lifetime. Blondes average 146,000 follicles. People with black hair tend to have about 110,000 follicles, those with brown hair have 100,000 follicles. Redheads have the least dense hair, averaging about 86,000 follicles.
5. At the moment of conception, you spent about half an hour as a single cell.
6. In a lifetime, the average person produces about 25,000 quarts of saliva, enough to fill two swimming pools.
7. There are about 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body.
8. Heart pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood through those vessels every day.
9. Men without hair on their chests are more likely to get cirrhosis of the liver than men with hair.
10. The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as the Encyclopedia Britannica.
11. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades.
12. Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
13. The average woman is 5 inches shorter than the average man.
14. One uses 200 muscles to take one step.
15. The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.
16. One gets a new stomach lining every three to four days. If you didn’t, the strong acids your stomach uses to digest food would also digest your stomach.
17. Scientists say the higher your I.Q. The more you dream.
18. Forty-one percent of women apply body and hand moisturizer at least three times a day.
19. The width of your armspan stretched out is the length of your whole body.
20. There are as many hairs per square inch on your body as a chimpanzee. You don’t see all of them because most are too fine and light to be noticed.
21. Women hearts beat faster than men.
22. Three years after a person quits smoking, there chance of having a heart attack is the same as someone who has never smoked before.
23. Scientists have discovered that the longer the ring finger is in boys the less chance they have of having a heart attack.
24. The right lung of a human is larger than the left one. This is because of the space and placement of the heart.
25. In a lifetime, the heart pumps about one million barrels of blood.
26. People that suffer from gum disease are twice as likely to have a stroke or heart attack.
27. At one time it was thought that the heart controlled a person’s emotions.
28. Women are twice as likely to be diagnosed with depression than men in the United States.
29. From all the oxygen that a human breathes, twenty percent goes to the brain.
30. People who ride on roller coasters have a higher chance of having a blood clot in the brain.
31. Once a human reaches the age of 35, he/she will start losing approximately 7,000 brain cells a day. The cells will never be replaced.
32. It is not possible to tickle yourself. The cerebellum, a part of the brain, warns the rest of the brain that you are about to tickle yourself. Since your brain knows this, it ignores the resulting sensation.
33. In America, the most common mental illness is Anxiety Disorders.
34. Your brain is 80% water.
35. Your brain is move active and thinks more at night than during the day.
36. The chances of getting a cavity is higher if candy is eaten slowly throughout the day compared to eating it all at once and then brushing your teeth.
37. If an identical twin grows up without having a certain tooth, the other twin will most likely also grow up with that tooth missing.
38. Gardening is said to be one of the best exercises for maintaining healthy bones.
39. Although the outsides of a bone are hard, they are generally light and soft inside. They are about 75% water.
40. Your thigh bone is stronger than concrete.
41. By donating just one pint of blood, four lives can be saved.
42. Blood is such a good stain that Native Americans used it for paint.
43. A woman has approximately 4.5 liters of blood in her body, while men have 5.6 liters.
44. Women blink twice as often as men.
45. The shark cornea has been used in eye surgery, since its cornea is similar to a human cornea.
46. The number one cause of blindness in adults in the United States is diabetes.
47. The eye of a human can distinguish 500 shades of the gray.
48. People generally read 25% slower from a computer screen compared to paper.
49. Men are able to read fine print better than women can.
50. All babies are colour blind when they are born.
51. The reason why your nose gets runny when you are crying is because the tears from the eyes drain into the nose.
52. The most common injury caused by cosmetics is to the eye by a mascara wand.
53. The highest recorded speed of a sneeze is 165 km per hour.
54. It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
55. While sleeping, one man in eight snores, and one in ten grinds his teeth.
56. 85% of the population can curl their tongue into a tube.
57. On average, a man spends about five months of his life shaving.
58. Hair will fall out faster on a person that is on a crash diet.
59. Hair is made from the same substance as fingernails.
60. People that use mobile phones are 2.5 times more likely to develop cancer in areas of the brain that are adjacent to the ear they use to talk on the mobile phone.
61. Over 90% of diseases are caused or complicated by stress.
62. Chances of a women getting breast cancer are increased by excessive use of alcohol.
63. A person that is struck by lightning has a greater chance of developing motor neurons disease.
64. A headache and inflammatory pain can be reduced by eating 20 tart cherries.
65. Each year in America there are about 300,000 deaths that can be attributed to obesity.
66. A study indicates that smokers are likely to die on average six and a half years earlier than non-smokers. A person who smokes a pack of cigarettes a day will on average lose two teeth every ten years.
67. Studies indicate that listening to music is good for digestion.
68. Lack of sleep can affect your immune system and reduce your ability to fight infections.
69. Over 40 million Americans have chronic bad breath.
70. Carbon monoxide can kill a person in less than 15 minutes. (It is present in smoke caused by fires)
71. Every day the human stomach produces about 2 liters of hydrochloric acid.
72. The risk of cardiovascular disease is twice as high in women that snore regularly compared to women who do not snore.
73. It has been medically been proven that laughter is an effective pain killer.
74. The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.
75. A pregnant woman’s dental health can affect her unborn child.
76. When a women is pregnant, her senses are all heightened.
77. Studies show that couples that smoke during the time of conception have a higher chance of having a girl compared to couples that do not smoke.
78. Kissing can aid in reducing tooth decay. This is because the extra saliva helps in keeping the mouth clean.
79. Studies have shown that the scent of Rosemary can help in better mental performance and make individuals feel more alert.
80. Scientists say that babies that are breastfed are more likely to be slimmer as adults than those that are not breastfed.
81. People have the tendency to chew the food on the side that they most often use their hand.
82. One out of 20 people have an extra rib.
83. People with darker skin will not wrinkle as fast as people with lighter skin.
84. People with allergies can lower allergy reactions by laughing.
85. People that smoke have 10 times as many wrinkles as a person that does not smoke.
86. Girls have more tastebud than boys.
87. Eighty percent of 10 year old girls in the USA go on a diet.
88. Children who are breast fed tend to have an IQ seven points higher than children who are not.
89. Eating chocolate three times a month helps people live longer as opposed to people who overeat chocolate or do not eat chocolate at all.
90. The average person has at least seven dreams a night.
91. The average person walks the equivalent of twice around the world in a lifetime.
92. The average person laughs about 15 times a day.
93. The vocabulary of the average person consists of 5,000 to 6,000 words.
94. About 10% of the world’s population is left-handed.
95. One human hair can support 3 kgs of weight
96. Bile produced by the liver is responsible for making your feces a brownish, green colour.
97. From the age of thirty, humans gradually begin to shrink in size.
98. The average person falls asleep in about 12 to 14 minutes.
99. People over the age of fifty will start to lose their dislike for foods that taste bitter.
100. It takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile.